ADM+S Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy Launch
Author Nick Walsh
Date 8 March 2023
We are delighted to celebrate International Women’s Day at ADM+S with the launch of our official ADM+S Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy and Action Plan.Equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are integral to the ADM+S Centre’s mission: to create knowledge and strategies for responsible, ethical, and inclusive automated decision-making (ADM). At ADM+S, we recognise that racism, colonialism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and ableism are principal obstacles to equity, diversity and inclusion, and remain primary causes of injustice and inequality. We believe that responsible, ethical, and inclusive ADM can deliver broad social benefits, including reducing inequalities for disadvantaged and vulnerable groups. This strong conviction guides our work as a Centre community and informs our EDI strategy.
In 2022, the priority of the ADM+S Equity and Diversity committee was to develop and monitor the implementation of a plan to advance equitable and inclusive initiatives across the Centre. This plan would support and encourage a diverse workforce reflecting our research, participant, and partner communities.
It was developed through a series of workshops in which committee members identified key strategic objectives and incorporated feedback from the 2021 Centre EDI Survey and post-event surveys, as well as consideration of founding and ARC documents and best practice from other ARC CoEs and our host institutions.
As part of our commitment to ensure equitable outcomes for our Centre community, the plan is not intended to be static but is designed to be reviewed continually. In November 2022, a second Centre-wide EDI survey was conducted, and the results will be used to inform the ongoing review of the strategy in 2023.
Our EDI mission is to create an equitable, diverse, and inclusive research community. This means fostering a culture that is:
- consistent with the expectations of an ARC Centre of Excellence;
- reflective of our research and training mission to support the creation of responsible, ethical, and inclusive ADM; and
- aligned with world-leading best practice through our leadership, policies, behaviours and culture.
Our vision is for ADM+S to be a leader in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion for our members, partners, and stakeholders. By recognising that our strength, distinctiveness, and potential lie in our people, and fostering an exemplary culture of diversity and inclusion, we will be at the forefront of addressing systemic inequalities that exist in academia (both in the workplace and in research practice) and ensure the Centre is a progressive organisation where all members, regardless of background, can do their best work in a professional and compassionate environment.
- To embrace and increase diversity in our Centre community and among our partners and networks.
- To foster an inclusive and participatory environment where everyone is safe, welcome, valued, heard, and respected.
- To establish an equitable culture where every person in the Centre has the opportunity and support to reach their full potential, and to acknowledge and address structural drivers of inequality, including but not limited to, racism, sexism, ableism, and colonialism.
- To improve and sustain research, employment, and study outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Our Action Plan begins with the high-level, major initiatives that we will progress to support our overall EDI mission, including our EDI committee, EDI surveys and EDI training. This is then followed by priorities and actions to support our four specific EDI objectives of equity, diversity, inclusion, and positive outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.